sanitarian_banner 4

Temporary Food Permits

What counts as a Temporary Food Establishment?

Temporary Food Establishment (TFE) means a retail food establishment that in a licensing year
(a) Operates at a fixed location for no more than 21 days in conjunction with a
single event or celebration; or
(b) Uses a fixed menu and operates within a single county at a recurring event
or celebration for no more than 45 days.

How to license your Temporary Food Establishment

Prior to opening, a TFE operator must fill out and submit the Application to Operate a TFE to the Sanitarian’s office. This application outlines the menu and facilities to be used. The appropriate fee must also be submitted to Teton County. Teton County’s Fee structure is as follows:

Operating as a non-profit: No fee

Operating for 1-3 days: $40

Operating with 1-2 employees for 4+ days: $85

Operating with 3+ employees for 4+ days: $115

A $20 reduction in fee is applicable for establishments where the operator is a Certified Food Protection Manager.


Some establishments may be entirely exempt from all permitting requirements for up to 4 days in a year. This exemption from permitting is detailed in Montana Code Annotated 50-50-102(21)(c) and includes:

  • a person that sells or serves only commercially prepackaged foods that are not potentially hazardous
  • private, religious, fraternal, youth, patriotic, or civic organizations that serve or sell food to the public over no more than 4 days in a 12-month period
  • a cottage food operation
  • a food stand that offers raw agricultural commodities

Privacy Preference Center